- With growing populations there will be an increase in diversity of consumers, the meat industry, and the student population.
- There will be an increase in the number of people that are removed from agriculture.
- There will be an increase in the number of people pursuing and obtaining a post-secondary education.
- There will be a decrease in the knowledge of food preparation and a greater reliance on convenient products.
- There will be an increase in the need for readily accessible factual and scientific information.
Social Cultural and Consumer Values
Consumers will seek healthier lifestyles and prefer healthier convenience meal solutions.
- Increase in movements toward sustainability and animal welfare.
- Increase in the variety and use of social and media networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- The influence of diverse consumer groups (i.e. ethnic, generations) will lead to evolved flavor demands, and alter food demands and the job market.
- There will be an increase in female involvement throughout the animal and food industries, and increased flexibility in the traditional work environment.
- Consumers will continue to expect safe and transparent food products.
- There will be an increase in emotional or values-based purchasing decisions of niche products.
- With an improving international economic climate there will be an increase in the amount of exports.
- There will be an increased demand for processors to provide a more efficient product at an affordable price.
- Consumers will become more aware of their spending habits.
- There will be an increase in consolidation due to the industry becoming more efficient.
- There will be an increase in the regulation of environmental and food safety practices.
- Media will continue to increase and impact consumer awareness.
Science and Technology
- The use of advanced technology will increase production efficiency, food safety and meat quality.
- Increased need for scientists who are equipped to integrate science and technology to address issues in food production.
- Increased need for scientists to translate and simplify scientific and technical processes.
- Increased need for collaboration between industry and academic/government researchers.
Assumption statements will help the AMSA Student Membership purposefully update the strategic plan on an annual basis. The AMSA Student Membership's projected future environment is described in this section. When conditions change, strategy needs to be adjusted. An annual review of these assumptions will help the Association ensure the ongoing relevance of its strategy.