- Professional Development
- Membership and Participation
- Membership Awareness
Goal #1 – Professional Development
Goal: AMSA student membership will continue to improve professional development and leadership opportunities for members.
Host an annual/biennial leadership development event independent of the annual AMSA Reciprocal Meat Conference.
Expand industry presence at the annual AMSA Reciprocal Meat Conference career fair and increase awareness of the AMSA Meat Science Career Center web site to potential employers and job seekers.
Increase participation from the student membership in both the student board elections and on all AMSA committees.
Increase participation, interest and number of student related reciprocation sessions at the annual AMSA Reciprocal Meat Conference.
Goal #2 – Outreach
Goal: AMSA student membership will provide resources to universities, schools and local communities to promote the benefits of AMSA membership as well as opportunities in the animal, food and allied industries.
- Establish an up-to-date directory of animal, food and allied industries clubs1 and their contacts at colleges and universities.
- Promote and publicize a college or university animal, food and allied industry clubs1 of the month on the AMSA web site (generated by the Student Board of Directors).
- Develop an Annual RMC Award to recognize an outstanding animal, food and allied industries student program.
- Create and maintain a resource on the AMSA web site with general information for meat science clubs and meetings (generated by the Student Board of Directors).
- Explore scholarship opportunities for high school students with an agricultural interest.
- Develop and maintain public relations resources on the AMSA web site with media training information and a list of contacts for various situations.
1Recognizing that at many universities meat science activities may occur within many different animal, food and allied industry student organizations.
Goal #3 – Membership and Participation
Goal: AMSA’s student membership will continue to increase in numbers, diversity and participation.
- Increase membership retention rate at least 5 percent on an annual basis.
- Increase non-meat judging membership and participation at least 3 percent on an annual basis.
- Increase in leadership event participation to 50 participants.
- Increase involvement on student membership committees by 2 percent on an annual basis.
- Increase student membership at least 3 percent on an annual basis.
- Increase participation in the annual student board election to 3 or more candidates per open position.
1Currently 590 student member 4/12/2010.
Goal #4 – Networking
Goal: AMSA student membership will continue to facilitate networking opportunities among members.
- Provide networking opportunities to maximize student interaction with other students and professionals.
- Increase participation and effectiveness of the mentorship program at the annual AMSA Reciprocal Meat Conference.
- Improve online social networking for students domestic and abroad.
Goal #5 – Membership Awareness
Goal: AMSA student membership will continue to promote and explore opportunities, domestically and abroad, for increasing awareness of the benefits of AMSA membership.
- Develop a student membership e-newsletter to be distributed quarterly as needed, (generated by the Student Board of Directors and coordinated by the Student Board Secretary).
- Create promotional material to publicize benefits of the AMSA student membership (business cards with officers and benefits, brochure, etc.).
- Increase awareness, both domestically and abroad, of the AMSA student membership.
- Identify additional AMSA promotional items for fundraising opportunities.
Goal #6 – Financial
Goal: AMSA student membership will maintain a fiscally sound budget from year to year.
- Seek sponsorships for student activities and other events.
- Maintain and publish quarterly reports on budget.
- Create and develop other avenues for fundraising beyond current activities.
- Look at other fundraising opportunities outside of the annual AMSA Reciprocal Meat Conference.
- Determine plan for surplus and/or deficit.