Youth Meat Judging Contest- Nebraska Beef
The American Meat Science Association and Nebraska Beef will be hosting a youth contest on Sunday, October 15, 2023. The Contest Chair will be Jodie Pitcock, USDA and assisted by Bo Garcia, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Registration Fee: $15/student: Contest will be maxed at 30 students this year.
- Contest Date: October 15, 2023
- Contest Location: Nebraska Beef, Omaha, NE
- Contest Facility Address: 4501 S 36th Street, Omaha NE 68107
Youth Meat Judging Contest Tentative Schedule
- Sunday, October 15, 2023- Contest Day!!
- 8:00am- Check-In
- 8:15am- Brief welcome and instructions, divide into groups, and prepare for the contest.
- 9:00am- Competitors enter the cooler.
- 2:00-2:30pm- Contest concludes-tentative.
Awards will be announced as quickly as possible at Nebraska Beef.
The contest will consist of:
- 6-Placing and Questions Classes: 50 pts per class= 300pts
- 6- Sets of Questions: 50 pts per class= 300pts
- 30 Retail Identification Cuts: 300 pts
|Identify 30 retail Cuts—Beef, Pork, and Lamb|
Fresh, Processed or Variety
|(A) Name of Species at 2 points each||60|
|(B) Name of Primal Cut at 3 points each||90|
|(C) Name of Retail Cut at 4 points each||120|
|(D) Recommended Cookery Method at 1 point each||30|
|Total Identification Score Possible||300|
Rules and Scorecard Information