Welcome to the AMSA Long Range Endowment Campaign – Meat the Future!
This effort will dramatically increase AMSA’s ability to serve the global community of professionals and students who discover, apply and communicate meat science technology, using unmatched competence and commitment to attract and develop meat industry leaders and provide science-based research and information.
Your investment in the Meat the Future Campaign will create a bright
future for meat science. To-date, with commitments from just a handful
of individuals and companies, we’ve already raised $2.1 million toward
our $5 million target. And, we are pleased to report the AMSA Board,
the Development Council and the Campaign Cabinet are leading the way
with 100% participation.
All gifts to AMSA, including to existing and proposed Mentor Recognition Funds, will count toward the AMSA Meat the Future Campaign goal. We hope you will join us in supporting this monumental effort by making a commitment that is right for you.
Benjy Mikel and Mark Miller
To read the full Meat the Future Campaign Case for Support, click here.
AMSA is on a mission to cultivate a global community of professionals and students who will discover, apply and communicate meat science and technology. AMSA is an inclusive global community drawing on diverse backgrounds, thoughts and experiences—where academics and the meat industry support each other throughout their careers in an environment of information exchange, scientific application, talent development and innovative thinking.
AMSA stands in a unique position to lead and address the widening talent gap and challenges to science. Our collective member expertise is unmatched, acting as an accelerator for education, research, technology and practical skills application across all types of livestock, meat and protein production. We see a future where decision makers, and even consumers, look to AMSA as the authoritative source of information about the role of meat in global diets, our economies and beyond.
AMSA, through leadership and member support, has created a solid fiscal foundation through our existing endowment fund. However, continued growth and broadening impact require greater investment. As we engage our ambitious strategic plan and long-range vision, the AMSA Long-Range Endowment Fund will provide the resources for new and innovative programs that support research, diverse student development, youth programs and the dissemination of scientific and technical information. We are proud of our strong history and are boldly optimistic about our future.
Working together we can achieve our goals. As AMSA presses into the future, ensuring the viability, growth and innovation of meat science research and industry, we need every member to engage with us in our three critical goals.
- Attract and Develop Talent - From curious high school students to seasoned senior leaders, AMSA intends to reinvigorate, reframe and help fill a dwindling academic and industry workforce and leadership pool.
- Become the Leading Scientific Voice for Meat Science - When policy makers and consumers weigh choices about meat, AMSA aims to be the trusted source they consult for timely, balanced information to make informed decisions.
- Provide Education, Outreach and Professional Development - Timely and accurate scientific information is fundamental to effective decision making. Therefore, AMSA proposes to accumulate, assemble and disseminate information and programming across all sectors of meat and livestock production as well as pet food and other protein products.
Accomplishing these goals will require joint effort and investment. Successfully building the Long-Range Endowment Fund will enable AMSA to strategically invest in the work required to accomplish our goals and ensure a bright future for our membership and our industry.
Join us in guiding and exciting the next generation about meat and food sciences and launching them into successful futures.
Contribute to a community where the youngest to the most seasoned professionals come together and build a vibrant future on shared insights and coordinated efforts.
Add your support to amplify the voice of meat science in our public discourse. Ensure the viability of the business of meat and the important work of helping people and our planet thrive.
New initiatives to be funded through a successful $5 million endowment campaign include:
- Intercollegiate Meat Judging
- Experiential Leadership and Student Engagement
- Expand and Enhance Post-Secondary Student Programs
- Diversify Student Base and Activities
- Scientific Communications: Expand the Reach of Scientific Information
- Meat in the Diet: Counter Negative Rhetoric with Science
- Meat Science Resources: Expand Awareness
- Grants and Pilot Projects: Promote Exploration
- Provide Impactful Scientific Publishing Resource
- Reach Additional Educators with Expanded Instructional Materials
- Industry Educational Programming
- Enhance International Meat Science Leadership Initiatives
- Develop Regional Outreach Experts
- Teach the Meat Industry and Affiliates About the Importance of Meat Science
- Advocate to Funding Agencies on Behalf of Collegiate Administrations
- Create Meat-Based Fellowships and Partnerships
Ways to Give
There are many ways you can have a direct impact on young leaders and the advancement of meat science through AMSA. Gifts are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
- Mentorships and Memorials
- Traditional Gifts as Direct Contributions - Personal check and credit card (including monthly recurring gifts).
- Stocks and Appreciated Securities
- Qualified Charitable Distribution - If you are over the age of 70½, you are eligible to make a Qualified Charitable Distribution of up to $100,000 from your IRA each year.
- Wills, Estate Planning and Beneficiary Designation
- Grants - Donate via grant from your Donor Advised Fund.
- Matching Gifts - Check with your company’s human resources department for potential opportunities.
- Real Estate, Life Insurance and Tangible Personal Property
Please work with your financial professional to identify the best giving method.
For more information on how you can play a part in supporting a bright future for meat science, please contact Collette Kaster, AMSA CEO, at email@example.com or 1-800-517-AMSA.
- Benjy Mikel, Ph.D., The John R. White Company
- Mark Miller, Ph.D., Texas Tech University
- David Anderson, Ph.D., Elanco/Colorado State University Emeritus
- Sharon Beals, CTI Foods
- Keith Belk, Ph.D., Colorado State University
- Mindy Brashears, Ph.D., Texas Tech University
- Steve Campano, Hawkins, Inc.
- Scott Eilert, Ph.D., Cargill, Inc.
- Casey Frye, Ph.D., Burke Emeritus
- Randal Garrett, Ph.D., Food Safety Net Services
- Bill Henning, Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University Emeritus
- Randy Huffman, Ph.D., Maple Leaf Foods
- Mohammad Koohmaraie, Ph.D., IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make my gift in honor or memory of someone?
Simply include their name in the online giving form if making a donation with a credit card. If making your donation through check, include a note. For other gifts, please contact Deidrea Mabry.
Can I talk to someone about a gift to the campaign?
Yes, we are happy to discuss ways to support the campaign. Please contact Campaign Co-Chairs Benjy Mikel or Mark Miller.
What will gifts to the campaign be used for?
Funds will be used for direct program costs, personnel, and technology. Full details are described in the campaign’s Case for Support.
Can I make a gift to the campaign from my estate?
Yes, AMSA can accept a number of planned gift arrangements and recognizes such donors through the AMSA Legacy Society. We would be happy to learn more about what you have in mind. The most important thing is for you to have sound guidance from your financial advisor when considering an estate gift.
Can I pledge an amount over a period of years?
Most certainly. You can set up a pledge over a multi-year period, to be fulfilled by December 31, 2026, using the Campaign Pledge Form.