National 4-H Meat Judging Contest
The 2022 National 4-H Meat Evaluation & Identification Contest will be held on October 18, 2022 as part of the American Royal Livestock Show. The contest will be hosted by Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas. The awards breakfast for contestants will be held on Wednesday, October 19, 2022 beginning at 8:00am at the American Royal Complex, 1701 American Royal Court, Kansas City, MO.
The registration process will only allow you to pay with a credit card. Please click on the link above and select "register" for the 2022 National 4-H Meat Evaluation Contest.
- You might be asked to login to your AMSA account. If you do not have an account you will need to create one. If you need help with your username or password please email Leslie Frenzel.
- You will be asked to list the coach's name, each team member's name and date of birth. You will also need to list the number of banquet guests that will be attending in addition to the coach and team members.
- You only need to fill out one registration per team - the $100 fee is for the entire team.
- Proceed to check out. After selecting your address you will be asked to pay with a credit card.
- After confirming payment you will receive a confirmation email, this email is your receipt. If you need a different invoice please send an email to email@example.com.
- If you need to be invoiced, please call Leslie Frenzel 210-410-3514
American Royal National 4H Meat Judging Contest
Kansas State University Meat Laboratory, Manhattan, KS
Tentative Contest Schedule
6:45-7:30am - Contestant check-in - KSU Meat Lab Weber Hall Auditorium
8:00am - Contest Begins
2:30pm - Review of Contest/Official Placings
American Royal National 4H Meat Judging Awards Presentation
The awards breakfast for contestants will be held on Wednesday beginning at 8:00am at the American Royal Complex, 1701 American Royal Court, Kansas City, MO.
Suggested Lodging Information
Information for American Royal activities may be found at www.americanroyal.com .
- Holiday Inn at the Campus, Manhattan, KS
1641 Anderson Ave, Manhattan, KS, 785-539-7531
Sponsors & Other Information
- Virtual Meat Judging Opportunities - AMSA will be hosting 3 virtual meat judging contests for interested 4-H and FFA students
- 4-H Meat Judging Supporters
The National 4-H Meat Judging program is made possible through the support of several donors.
- Scholarship Awards
- Previous Contest Results
- National 4-H Guidelines for Competitive Events
Rules and Scorecard Information
2022 National 4-H Meat Judging Contest - Manhattan, KS
Meat Judging & Retail Cut Resources
- 2010 RMC Meat Judging Clinic, Bone Maturities and Quality Grading
- Review the Retail Identification cuts from the 2004 National Contest.
- Visit Texas A&M University's web page for pictures of retail cuts used in the National 4-H Contest.
- Visit the University of Kentucky's web page for their meat id web site.
- University of Nebraska 4-H/FFA resource page
- University of Florida: http://www.animal.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/meat/youth/judging-classes.shtml.
Other Meat Judging Resources
Meat Judging Materials, including cards and the Meat Evaluation Handbook, that are available from the AMSA.
iCEV 4H Meat Judging Resources
CEV Multimedia has been developing multimedia classroom curriculum for over 30 years. Their resources include interactive videos and practice classes. They have offered a reduced subscription fee for 4H groups. For more info see the flier in the link above.