PORK 101 is a hands-on experience designed to update participants on quality and consistency issues in the pork industry. The program is hosted by AMSA and is sponsored by the National Pork Board, Merck Animal Health and Smithfield Foods.
PORK 101 partnering organizations include: American Association of Meat Processors (AAMP), North American Meat Institute (NAMI), Southeastern Meat Association (SEMA), and the Southwest Meat Association (SMA).
Dates & Locations
- Provide (comprehensive) in-depth training on quality and consistency issues (variation/considerations) in the pork industry
- Provide insight on value differences in swine, pork carcasses, pork primals and processed pork products due to quality and composition variation as well as background in swine genetics and animal welfare/humane handling.
- Provide a framework whereby participants in all phases of pork production can implement management and production changes to increase value through improvements in quality and consistency.
- Provide ‘classroom’ training that allows exposure to experts in a variety of disciplines combined with experiential learning opportunities designed to reinforce and demonstrate classroom teachings.
PORK 101 is a hands-on educational opportunity to update interested participants on quality and consistency issues in the pork industry. It includes insight on value differences in swine, pork carcasses, pork primals and processed pork products due to quality variation.
Through PORK 101, you will have the chance to evaluate live hogs. The animals will be processed during the class with participants learning about grading, food safety and product processing. Finally, the class will make and sample processed product from the hogs including pumped loins, bacon, hams and sausage.
The program features:
- General Production Practices
- Hog Handling
- Grading and Live Hog Evaluation
- Lean Value Pricing
- Quality Management at Slaughter
- Hands-On Pork Slaughter
- Measuring Carcass Quality and Composition
- Hands-On Pork Carcass Fabrication
- Processing Technologies and Hands-On Lab
- Retail and Consumer Hot Topics